Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Welcome to our forum.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Information on web-posted photographs (Read 1169 times)
Paddy Tobin
Ex Member

Information on web-posted photographs
Feb 27th, 2010 at 8:32pm

Is it possible to "read" information on photographs posted on a website?

Could I "read" when a photograph was taken, what camera used, what settings etc.?

I ask as I use another site where someone is making what I believe are untrue claims about photographs posted and I would like to be able to do a basic check on what he is posting.

Paddy

IP Logged

Closed Account.
YaBB Administrator

Programmer

Re: Information on web-posted photographs
Reply #1 - Feb 28th, 2010 at 12:02am

I would be VERY surprised if people allowed for the EXIF information to be made available.
Asking the photographer what settings he/she used is one thing, but posting files with EXIF still intact is a bad idea.

The EXIF is your best means of proving ownership and making that and your photo available is a very bad idea.

Regards
James.

IP Logged

Paddy Tobin
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Feb 28th, 2010 at 12:10pm

Thank you, James.

I reckoned the word "exif" would appear but, to be honest, that is double Dutch to me and I don't know how to access it on a photograph on the web - or not on the web for that matter.

When posting photographs myself I don't ever do anything about exif information simply because I don't know how.

Any further help would be greatly appreciated.

Paddy

IP Logged

Closed Account.
YaBB Administrator

Programmer

Reply #3 - Feb 28th, 2010 at 2:19pm

EXIF is standard / specification for image files generated by digital camera. Basically it's a digital Stamp which brands your image with all the information about the state your camera was in at the time you pressed the shutter button.

In short, when you take the photo every single setting on your camera including the time and date is embedded into the photo as EXIF information. So it's your proof of copyright and that the image is yours.

So that's why people are very unlikely to post a file with the EXIF information intact. It's their only true means to walk in and out of court in seconds if their image is stolen and they want to prove ownership.

Quote:
When posting photographs myself I don't ever do anything about exif information simply because I don't know how

When saving your file the option to remove the EXIF information should be displayed. Depending on what graphics program your using, it's likely only a little tick box.

Regards
James

IP Logged

Paddy Tobin
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Feb 28th, 2010 at 7:24pm

Thank you for your time and information, Jame.

Much appreciated, Paddy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print