Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Shooting in Raw & JPG (Read 1335 times)
Jayowat
YaBB Administrator

Camera Club Member

Shooting in Raw & JPG
Aug 25th, 2010 at 2:09pm

Recently I tried the option to shoot in Raw & JPG - instead of just RAW only. I thought this might save a bit of time in copying & saving in JPG afterwards.
However I notice that, in the same shot,  the RAW images do not appear to be as good as the JPG ones.
Can anyone explain why - or simply comment regarding this method.

Thanks
John

IP Logged

Jacko
YaBB Administrator

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Shooting in Raw & JPG
Reply #1 - Aug 25th, 2010 at 9:06pm

Hi John, I'm not an expert in the field but the Raw files are just that... 'Raw' They haven't undergone a lot of the in-camera processing that the jpegs have to make them look better out of the camera. That part of it is up to you to process as you like rather than as the camera thinks they should be processed. You probably found cold looking under-saturated files for the RAW. It is up to you  to process them as you think most appropriate. It takes longer to process RAW files but you have more control over them and a greater room for correction i.e. under or over exposed etc. That's my simple explanation to your query. other more advanced members may wish to add to it.

IP Logged

Jayowat
YaBB Administrator

Camera Club Member

Reply #2 - Aug 25th, 2010 at 11:31pm

Hi Damien
Thanks for the reply, it makes sense the way you put it.
To be honest I'm not getting a lot of value out of shooting in RAW, at the moment anyway, so I might stick to JPG until I can understand a bit more about my camera and other areas.
Thanks again
John

IP Logged

Steelydan99
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Sep 17th, 2010 at 12:10am

A RAW file is exactly what Damien said, its a file in its RAW stage.

When shooting in jpeg, the camera will do some sharpening,saturation,contrast etc to the jpeg file as its processing.

One thing you can control in the RAW file is exposure, you can add or subtract up to 2 stops of exposure. This is a must if you accidentally underexpose or over expose your shots, you can "save " them in the RAW converter.

Dont see the point in RAW+Jpeg shooting, I go through my shots and only convert the ones i think are good enough, no point in filling your harddrive with out of focus/poorly composed/bad exposure shots.

Just delete and visit the venue again.Don't waste your time trying to fix it, get it right in camera and have fun trying

Just my 2 cents worth

IP Logged

Jayowat
YaBB Administrator

Camera Club Member

Reply #4 - Sep 18th, 2010 at 7:28am

Hi John
Thanks for the advice,

John

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1